Friday, June 19, 2009

gmail searches and missing my dad

I've been thinking about my dad a lot. Probably because Father's day is approaching.

Something i like to do from time to time is search for a word in my gmail and find funny, old, forgotten emails. I searched "my dad." Here are some results:


"If my dad were to blurb a book it'd have to be a book about having bbq sauce on your chin and/or shirt"


"I was just watching a boxing match with my dad and one of the fighters' shorts were falling down and down and down so slowly. I never saw my dad so rapt."


"Well, I ended up writing a ridiculous account of a dialogue I had with my Dad about stoops. I turned it in sort of as a joke but my editor printed it and titled it "Mr. Lander's Neighborhood." (I gotta find that article!)


"at some point today my dad said, to no one in particular, "was there ever a menstruation Barbie?"


"I just showed my dad myspace because he heard about it on NPR and wanted to have a look for himself. A real bonding moment in the Lander family."


"So today at work I somehow got into a conversation about how my dad changed his name (true) and so I told my coworker that I also changed my name when I was 17 (false). I played it cool for a while making him wonder about my possible birth name. Then, after much cajoling, I told him my parents named me Vampire."


And, for fun, here's a great picture of him:



1 comment:

Little Fish said...

I love that pic so much! It totally captures your Dad's spirit. Love you, miss you, talk to you when I get back.